A new me...

A place where I can write about my fitness goals and accomplishments. A place where I hope to receive motivation from myself and also from my followers. A place where I can share stories about the blood, sweat and tears I will endure during my journey to a new me!

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Group Exercise

Hello everybody! I'm baaaaaaaack! :-) I apologize for my brief hiatus in blogging. I promise I have not fallen off the wagon, in fact my workouts have only improved. I am so excited to talk about my experience at the gym today!!! Instead of boring you all (and myself) with the same ole' post about me getting depressed because there hasn't been any significant changes yet, I'd rather wait until moments like this when I am inspired to share new experiences!

Most of you are aware I have been working with a personal trainer at my gym. I have averaged three appointments with her a week. There was definitely an initial shock, and not only to my body! I facebook stalked my trainer and found out she was born in 1990. LOL. That took a day or so to completely soak in, all I could think was "she's the same age as my youngest sister". Then I said to myself, "you know what, good for her!" She kicks my butt, and she has it figured out for herself. Instantly, I couldnt get enough of it. My whole thought process changed, and I noticed myself thinking about the gym and working out so much more often. Ralph Waldo Emerson said "We become what we think about all day long."

A personal training appointment mainly consists of weight training for an hour. This form of working out is very new to me, and because of that there has not been an appointment where I was not sore the next day. I know that will wear off with time. I learned from Ashley (my trainer) recently, that she will get my measurements at the end of every month. I said to her I didn't feel like anything had changed drastically and I was concerned about my measurements being the same. She asked what type of cardio I was doing in addition to our weight training appointments. I admitted I wasn't coming in for cardio on my own. Although I realize cardio is where you shed the pounds, I am always so sore and I guess I thought PT was suffice. We agreed I would take a group exercise class and on those days only have a 30 minute PT session afterwards. We're shooting for this a couple times a week.

Today was Latin Heat, also known as Zumba. There I was at 9:30am, barely awake. The instructor shows up and can't get the music to work. Apparently the fire alarm went off in the middle of the night and messed with the sound system. We had to wait for close to 20 mins until the operations manager was coming in and could re-set the system. Once that was done, it still was going to take a while for the system to warm back up. Annoyed and debating whether I should just leave and say "screw it" today, we're atleast 15 minutes into the class and still without music. Someone eventually brings in a portable cd player and off we go. The instructor didnt have her mic obviously, and the portable cd player is nothing compared to the sound system but it didnt stop us from getting our dance on! THEN, my personal training session afterwards had somehow been double booked. Ashley had two clients at once and it all worked out.

I find myself smiling when I think about working out today. There is something about working out with other people that can be so motivating. Someone is always there to give you that push when you feel like you can't go anymore. Not to mention I just love the Zumba classes. If I feel that I look stupid because of the moves I'm doing all I have to do is look around me and there are several others looking just as silly as I do. :-)
All in all today I was at the gym from 930am til noon, and although having a cardio workout and then a PT session back to back is completely new to me I had a really good time. And hope little "accidents" like this happen more often!

Have a great weekend everybody, and workout with a friend!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Michelle! That's what I'm talking about! You rock! I am realy so happy to see you are making good progess. You will get stronger every day. Sounds like you have a very good trainer too!

    I am very proud of you! Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle it is so invigorating and inspiring to me to hear you speak of your workouts so positively! I am happy for you that you have reached a new understanding and frame of mind! Let me know when you are going to do another Zumba class and I will gladly be your "workout friend!" Keep up the good work!! Your payout is coming!! :-)

    I love you!!

    ReplyDelete